Member News

RDG In the Media: Parks Going Green, Sustaining Momentum

In an interview with Recreation Management Magazine, RDG’s Colt McDermott, ASLA, LEED® GA discusses how park design can adapt to a post-COVID world and emphasize sustainability and inclusion. The past year has solidified the critical role parks play in supporting healthy activity, peace...

Walter P Moore - Dickies Arena Claims IDEAS² Award

Ten innovative projects throughout the U.S. won 2021 IDEAS2 Awards, the steel industry’s top design honor. Sponsored by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), the Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel (IDEAS2) Award program recognizes projects...

KPF - Rosenberg College of Law Earns SCUP Award

The KPF-redesigned building earned a 2021 Excellence Award in the Renovation category from The Society for College and University Planning. The Stephen M. Rosenberg College of Law at the University of Kentucky features a renovation of the original 1965 building. KPF’s update includes a 26% area...

On solid ground: in conversation with our engineers

Rachel Monteith and Alison Nicholson spend their days getting people out of holes. Mostly metaphorically, but quite often, it happens for real, especially when it comes to over-enthusiastic archaeologists. We speak to them about the big issues in ground engineering. Google must be confused...

Walter P Moore - Role of Grid Decarbonization

The following piece is an excerpt from the report, Embodied Carbon: A Clearer View of Emissions. IT’S NO SECRET that emissions from a building’s energy use are inherently tied to the “cleanliness” of the grid. With increasing urgency surrounding anthropogenic climate change, there has been action to...

Reawakened landscapes and their impact on planet

Spring returns every year with a sense of reawakening, but in 2021 that sense is pronounced as we mark a full year of living within a global pandemic. In many cities, the impact of modern lifestyles on the environment has been made more visible by our forced retreat away from the public realm...

HKS - Why Mass Timber Buildings Make Sense

HKS is a firm committed to exploring new building methods and materials, community health, design excellence and sustainability. That’s why we are a major proponent of the advantages of mass timber construction. Even though mass timber buildings represent only a fraction — less than .000189 percent...

Phase I Kicks Off on University Lakes Restoration

In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Sasaki is working on multiple projects that will have long lasting benefits for the environment and for the community. In addition to working on Greenwood Community Park Master Plan and Implementation, Sasaki is also beginning work on the University Lakes Restoration...

ZGF Insights - Small Details, Big Impact

Every design detail, big or small, sends a message about who a space is—or isn’t—intended for. In the era of Lean healthcare design, we often design for the 80% of users that fall to the edges of “normal.” But when it comes to designing for equity, we can’t afford to exclude the other 20%. While there is...

Thermal Arch. Lab Tackles Public Health & Envir. Crises

Two studies by Dorit Aviv, assistant professor of architecture and director of the Thermal Architecture Lab at Weitzman, show how architecture can help create interior spaces that are both COVID-safe and energy efficient. The first study, published in Indoor Air, provides design-based...

HKS - Innovation Center Symbolizes Design Excellence

When HKS Principals Jim Whitaker and Heath May review federal project opportunities, they know that typically most are awarded to the lowest bidder. But the program of requirements for a confidential federal agency project they encountered last year was different: it was for a new campus...

Architectural Placemaking in Hospitality Experiences

Before you step foot into a DLR Group designed hotel, the placemaking process comes to life through three architectural principles: invigorating neighborhoods, bridging past and future, and sparking curiosity and discovery, using the allure of mystery. At the beginning of design, we immerse...